THE VOW OF PARTNERSHIP
- VOW #1: I PROMISE GOD WILL BE MY FIRST PRIORITY AND MY SPOUSE WILL BE MY SECOND.
- VOW #2: I PROMISE TO ALWAYS PURSUE MY TWO.
- VOW #3: I PROMISE OUR MARRIAGE WILL BE ABOUT “WE” AND NOT “ME.”
That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh. Genesis 2:24
united: ‘echad (ekh-awd’): completely joined as one.
… “‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” Matthew 19:5-6
MARRIAGE IS A COVENANT, NOT A CONTRACT
- A contract is based on mutual distrust.
- A covenant is based on mutual commitment.
covenant: beriyth (ber-eeth’): cutting, a binding agreement, a blood covenant.
COVENANT PARTNERSHIP IS SUMMARIZED WITH GODLY LEADERSHIP AND MUTUAL SUBMISSION.
Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. Ephesians 5:21
Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. Ephesians 5:22-24
Talk It Over
- What do you think a godly marriage looks like? Share any examples you’ve seen lived out.
- Read Ephesians 5:21. What do you think it means to mutually submit to each other in marriage? How could this play out practically?
- True or False: A marriage will be as good as both husband and wife decide it will be. What decisions do you need to make today that will improve your current or future marriage?