Big Idea: God has promised to reward those who are about his business with everlasting joy.
Isaiah 35 is a chapter of promises from God. Listen to what he says:
- The desert and parched land will be glad; the wilderness will rejoice with blossom. Like the crocus, it will burst into bloom; it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy. (v. 1-2)
- Then will the eyes of the blind be opened, and the ear of the deaf unstopped. Then will the lame leap like a deer and the mute tongue shout for joy. Water will gush forth in the wilderness and streams in the desert. The burning sand will become a pool, and thirsty ground bubbling springs. (v. 5-7)
- And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness. The unclean will not journey on it; it will be for those who walk in the Way; wicked fools will not go about on it. No lion will be there, nor will any ferocious beast get up on it; they will not be found there. But only the redeemed will walk there, and the ransomed of the Lord will return. They will enter Zion with singing, everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away. (v. 8- 10)
Strengthen those who are weak.
- Strengthen the feeble hands… Isaiah 35:3a
- A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed. Proverbs 11:25
Support those who fall.
- …steady the shaking knees! Isaiah 35:3b
- A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a difficult time. Proverbs 17:17
- A despairing man should receive loyalty from his friends, even if he abandons the fear of the Almighty. Job 6:14
Speak encouragement to those who are troubled.
- say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you.” Isaiah 35:4