As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at his tax collector’s booth. “Follow me and be my disciple,” Jesus said to him. So Matthew got up and followed him. Matthew 9:9 NLT
mathetes (math-ay-tes’); a learner, pupil, disciple, follower.
DO YOU KNOW JESUS TODAY?
- YOU ARE A DISCIPLE—FOLLOWER OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST!
AS A DISCIPLE OF JESUS
- YOU FIND A NEED AND MEET
“But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. 35The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’” 37… Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.” Luke 10:33-35, 37
“And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.” Matthew 10:42
- FIND A HURT AND HEAL
Then Jesus made a circuit of all the towns and villages. He taught in their meeting places, reported kingdom news, and healed their diseased bodies, healed their bruised and hurt lives. Matthew 9:35 MSG
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35
- YOU DO A WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHER THINGS THAT JESUS ASKS YOU TO DO THAT WON’T FIT NEATLY INTO A POINT ON A PAGE.
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27
TALK IT OVER
- What do you picture when you think of the word Christian? What has shaped your opinion?
- What are the ways you’re living out being a disciple? How could people observe you following Christ’s example?
- What are the things that don’t fit neatly into a point on a page that you know you’re called to do as Jesus’ disciple?